The SANE Certification Commission (SCC) has established recertification requirements to ensure Oregon-certified SANE/SAEs stay current in their practice and connected in their field. Recertification must be completed within three (3) years of original certification and every three years thereafter.
Recertification Application Process:
- To recertify as an Oregon SANE/SAE, the SANE/SAE Recertification Application and payment must be submitted between one and six months prior to certification expiration.
- If the recertification application and/or continuing education requirements are not submitted by the expiration date, a Lapse of Certification Application will need to be submitted instead. Recertification applications submitted beyond the certification expiration date will not be accepted.
- Recertification is every three years.
- One sexual assault medical forensic exam from the previous certification period must be de-identified and submitted on the Oregon SA Medical Forensic Exam Form 2016.
- Keep a copy of your recertification application for your records. Keep detailed records of dates of exams, speculum exams, and certificates from Continuing Education activities to submit if you are audited.
- Certified SANEs/SAEs should keep documentation related to CEs and their clinical practice in their personal files. The SANE Certification Commission (SCC) reserves the right to request copies of any necessary documentation in the event of an audit or for the purposes of clarification.
General Requirements for Recertification
The Oregon Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE)/Sexual Assault Examiner (SAE) Certification Commission (SCC) has established recertification requirements to ensure that Oregon-certified SANEs/SAEs stay current in their practice and connected in their field.
- Be currently certified as an Oregon SANE or SAE.
- Hold a current unrestricted RN, NP, PA, MD, or DO license in Oregon.
- Maintain an average of 16 hours per month of relevant active nursing or clinical patient care practice.
- Complete at least 15 speculum exams within three years of original certification and every three years thereafter.
- Complete at least 3 sexual assault exams within three years of original certification and every three years thereafter.
- Complete one critique and self-reflection to check in with yourself and with your practice over the past three years. This is an excellent opportunity to communicate with us about your needs and the needs of your community.
- Complete at least 25 contact hours of relevant clinical or non-clinical continuing education (CE) within three years of original certification and every three years thereafter. These hours may fall into categories broadly defined as Learning, Teaching, Activities, Teams, and Professional Membership.
- You are encouraged to include information about all related continuing education you have participated in. However, please note that there are maximums that can be applied to the requirements in each category. Please make sure that you have enough information across categories to meet the full requirements.
Prior to your expiration date, you will receive feedback on your recertification application in an e-mail from the Oregon SANE/SAE Coordinator. The Coordinator acts as a liaison to the Commission only and does not vote.
Note: There is a $75 fee payable to the Oregon SANE Certification Commission for recertification.
Common recertification application errors
- Earning all CEUs in one area only. The continuing education requirements are designed to ensure a balance of relevant activities and experience. Please note the maximums that can be applied to each category and plan accordingly.
- Waiting until just before expiration to look for CEUs. It is recommended to frequently review educational offerings from IAFN, SATF, and other educational bodies and to stay aware of opportunities to be involved in teaching, policy development, and multidisciplinary teamwork. Continuing education credits are meant to be earned over the entirety of each three-year renewal period.
If you have questions about recertification, please contact the Oregon SANE/SAE Program Coordinator at SANE@oregonsatf.org or 503-990-6541.